Saturday, August 25, 2012

100th Blog Post, The Charger Rides Again

Welcome to my 100th post on this site. It's been a long time and I know that I have recently focused soley on the Charger but if you look back, I have written a lot of different posts over the years.
So today I decided it was time to get the Charger's floor pans in by means of welding. The closest place that had a welder was my Uncle George's house 11 miles away. 11 miles, a distance the Charger had not driven in 10 years, could the car even make it? I didn't know but I was going to find out. Don't worry, I got insurance on the car before I drove it just in case. The inspection on the other hand.......well, I figured if a cop wanted to chase me around the country side, in a muscle car, on the roads where I learned to drive and had been driving on since I was 10 years old, then he would be welcomed to do so!!! And after he easily caught me, I would just go ahead and pay the fine. The point is, I was willing to risk it. My dad followed me in his truck in case the Charger didn't make it and needed to be towed home. The Dodge was built to drive and I know cars don't have minds but if this car did have a mind, it wouldn't have known what kind of rough shape it was in, because it drove just fine the 11 miles to my uncle's house. On a straight strech I got out the camera so you can see what riding in the Charger was like. It was noisy, dirty, smelly, and I loved every second of it. Keep in mind it had no floors! Floors do a wonderful job of keeping those deadly fumes out of your car, just so you know. The Charger made it with no problems whatsoever I'm happy to report and now sits in my uncle's garage where it waits to have the floor welded in, then it's off to a body shop to get the body work and paint job done! (Oh and, if you're wondering I only got it up to 65 during the trip because I wanted to take it slow for it's first trip.)

Thanks for reading my 100th post and check back for more updates on the restoration of my 1974 Dodge Charger!

No comments: