Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Growing Orchids: 3 WEEK UPDATE

I thought I'd do an update on the orchids I've been working with. If you remember the "manager's special" you will see that all of the blossoms have fallen off. HOWEVER, it is growing more blossoms as you can see. It is also trying to branch off and is even sending out a new flower spike from a stalk that was already broken off when I bought it. Since it is growing like this I probably should trim it off and let the tiny new shoot become the main one, that is typically what people do so that there is one long slender flower spike with all the flowers on it. 




It is very healthy for a plant that was marked down so low they had to set it on a table by itself and tag it with a, "Manager's Special" sticker. It is even growing new roots as you can see here. Two new fat little roots have emerged from the bottom. 


As for my other half dead orchids, they are all doing very well too. Each one is growing a new leaf. This one started to grow it's leaf first and therefore is the biggest one. It's former newest leaf to the right has grown much bigger and is standing more  upright, a sign that the plant is getting a lot of water. 
The next orchid was so dried out and half dead when I brought it home that I really worried if I would be able to bring it back to life. As you can see it is growing a brand new tiny little leaf. The other leaf is almost standing straight up and down now. It is even growing a tiny new root. All great signs for this little clearance rack special. It really was the furthest gone and had the fewest live roots to work with, I feared the worst the day I re-potted it, but look at it now! 

The last little guy is growing a new leaf pretty good from the looks of it but it's the roots on this one that are really impressive! Just look at the size of that new root, fat and green and with another one starting to come out right behind it. 


All of these orchids were left for dead and marked down just so the store could get rid of them. Not only did I save them but they are on the road to a speedy recovery. Not too bad considering I've only had them for 3 weeks. Just goes to show you what a little patience and care can get you. Some day they will grow new flower spikes and bloom which will be really exciting considering I have no idea what colors the last three will be since they had none when I bought them, (the flowers had already dried and fallen off due to terrible store conditions). I know that they might not  bloom for another year or longer but one day they will and say, "thank you!" I will continue to  update you on these tenacious little guys and remember, plants will always tell you what they need,  you just have to know how to listen. 


No comments: